Monday, May 09, 2005

Paliative Treatment

That was not what I wanted to hear. Today I received a call from my Pulmonary doctor (in response to my call to her) who stated that the treatment I am receiving (Radiation Therpy) is paliative and not expected to effect a cure for my lung cancer. I have so many doctors it is very hard for me to stay on top of things. My radiation Doctor is a private Radiation Oncologist and was careful not to state anything about the possibilities for my recovery or longevity. I will now speak to him and have him give me a more realistic time frame to plan on. It is difficult to make plans when you don't know how long you have or how uncomfortable you may be. I am not complaining but I would like to be able to make some realistic plans. I may have told myself that since my cancer is not a stage 4 but rather a stage 2 that a cure is likely. That doesn't appear to be the case. Radiation Therpy will only lengthen the time and no one wants to predict anything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm taking everything that lady says with a grain of salt. From what I am hearing the other doctors say, this is not palliative and may indeed wipe out the cancer. She seems to never have anything good to say, and so far she has been the only one to misdiagnose you as level 4, when you are actually only level 2.

Anonymous said...

What does your oncologist say? They are the ones who know more about it.
Jack

John O'Connor said...

Did you see my May 10th post?