Thursday, April 28, 2005

Does anybody know what time it is?. Does anybody really care?

Well yesterday came and went and I feel only slightly more informed. Actually, it was mostly anti-climatic. I will be starting my Radiation therapy on Monday and as we all knew it will last for about 33 sessions. Yesterday was mainly spent in marking me up for use on Monday before my first treatment. They now use a 3 dimensional computer generated type of treatment which is said to be much more accurate. My doctor was a low key fellow and he asked a lot of questions that I had hoped he would have had answer for from my other doctors. None the less I have good confidence in him and he is not without humor. I was able to jibe him and he took it pretty well. I don't know why I always seem to do that with everyone I meet (jibe) must be left over from my early days with my dad. He never could talk without pulling your leg and never being totally serious about anything. I think my dad was affraid he might be quoted and he always wanted to make the excuse that he was only kidding. I feel pretty good. I have good energy and I am not depressed at all. I have stayed close to home for nearly a week and I am due to get out more and I need to stay busier than this. There seems to be some confusion amongst the doctors as to the treatment for my heart. Such as, will I be able to undergo open-heart later, or how long from now will it be. I am a little confused myself. I think they are going to confer about this issue and I will be informed eventually. Right now, I simply want to start my Radiation and see what happens. This doctor did say that upon completion there could still be a dark spot where the cancer was but it may just be a callous and that it would take months to make that determination. In fact he said, they will not be able to do cat scans or pet scans for a few months because they would get false readings. He also added that there is a danger of doing some damage to the lung where they have applied the radiation and that could be a problem. They will keep a look out for matastisation afterward as that is the biggest concern. Spreading

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just really happy that they are doing radiation instead of chemo. Even though there have been advances made in the science of chemotherapy over the past several decades, the process is still rough on the body and mind.

Radiation is much less intrusive and has fewer side effects. From everything I have read the process is quick and painless. I like quick and painless things. True, the entire treatment will take 33 zaps, but you're strong and can handle this both physically and mentally.

Damn this coffee is yummy. I would share some with you, but every time I pour some into my hard drive the computer short circuits and the intended recipient never gets any. at least they build these computers with retractable cup holders.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy they are too! Less side effects! I was off last week - let me know how it goes!

And Chris - I'll take some coffee if you ever figure out how to get it through the computer. I'm falling asleep here at work today! And it's SNOWING! It would taste good!