Monday, September 05, 2005

I predict 12,000 - 15,000 dead

This is my less-than-pleasant prediction. Hurricane Katrina hit a city that couldn't afford to be hit. What were they thinking anyway? Building a city below sea-level seems suicidal. And isn't all of Norway below sea-level? These areas are not meant to be inhabited by land mammals.

So I predict 12,000 to 15,000 dead. Only time will tell. And I hope my prediction is way too high. The real question is not how many are dead, but is this area worth rebuilding? Isn't this natural disaster a message to enemies of the United States? Wouldn't flying a fully-fueled 737 into one of the levies be an excellent terrorist tactic? Now imagine 80% of New Orleans NOT being evacuated. Imagine how many would die in a terrorist attack that comes without warning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks like my gloomy prediction was way too high. They're saying only a few hundred died.